Dr. Samuel Jackson Jones, A. M. PhD, a gifted educator, and his wife, Charlotte Halloran Jones, were the organizers of the historic Thomas Arnold High School begun in the Village of Salado in 1890 and located on the site of the Old Salado College. Dr. and Mrs. Jones were both born in New Orleans. He was born on September 29, 1858. The dates of Mrs. Jones' birth and the date and place of their marriage are unknown. Five children were born to this couple. They came to the Salado area prior to 1884. Dr. Jones graduated from Vanderbilt University. Prior to the marriage Mrs. Jones served as a missionary in Mexico from 1880 to 1884. Dr. Jones taught at the University of Texas for a short time. The couple then moved to Salado and both taught at Salado College for one year. When the College closed they went to Huntsville where Dr. Jones served on the faculty of Sam Houston College. During this time, Mrs. Jones worked among families of Mexican prisoners at Huntsville State Prison. Former trustees of Salado College asked Dr. Jones to return to Salado to organize and head a new public school. He responded to this call and leased the old college buildings where he located the new school in 1890. The name “Thomas Arnold High School” was chosen by Mrs. Jones. The school was designed after the Rugby School founded in 1367 in Rugby, Warwickshire, England, the oldest private but publicly supported and most prestigious school in England. In the 19th century, under the headmastership of Thomas Arnold the school achieved a reputation as an ideal English school for boys with emphasis on reliance and character as well as academic achievement. It was said of Thomas Arnold that he “made men who made England.” One difference in Dr. Jones' school was that it was co-educational, one of the earliest such schools in Texas. He stressed ethics and character building as primary aims along with a strong scholastic background. The school proved to be very popular and young people came from all over Texas and some from other states. Many students grew to be outstanding citizens in the growth and development of Salado, Bell County and the State of Texas. Mrs. Jones died suddenly on July 17, 1904. Dr. Jones, who was in very poor health, was devastated. He continued his teaching but had to retire because of failing health in 1913. At an earlier date Dr. Jones had been asked to serve on the Board of Regents of the University of Texas. A bitter feud developed between Governor James E. Ferguson and the Regents. Because of unrealistic demands of the Governor, some Regents left, others, including Dr. Jones were removed from the Board. Members of the Student Association and Legislators led a movement which ended with the impeachment of Governor Ferguson. While visiting family members in Virginia, Dr. Jones died on April 8, 1918. His body was returned to Salado where he was buried beside his beloved wife in Old Salado Grave Yard. A Texas Historical Commission Subject Marker has been place at the burial site. An interesting final note of this biography is that Governor Ferguson had been a student of Dr. Jones when he taught at Salado College.
Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson (1820–1879) was an early white settler in Robertson's Colony in Texas. His father was the colony's founder Sterling C. Robertson. Brought to Texas to learn the Spanish language, he translated for both Robertson's Colony and later the Texas General Land Office. He practiced law in Milam County. Robertson was a postmaster for the Republic of Texas, and the leader of a volunteer group who aided Alexander Somervell in border disputes. By 1844, he had been promoted to the rank of colonel in the Republic of Texas militia. Robertson was one of the delegates who signed the Texas Order of Secession in 1861, and served as aide-de-camp to General Henry McCulloch. The Col. Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson Plantation in Salado is listed on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Bell County, Texas.