James Lowery Smith was born in Raleigh, North Carolina in 1827. His family migrated to Alabama and then to Texas. James was the oldest of seven children born to William Barry Williams and wife. His parents settled near the present town of Cameron in Old Milam District. James was educated at Old Independence under Dr. Rufus C. Burleson and assisted him in teaching. While there he married Julia Catherine Mc Dowell, a native of Charleston, South Carolina and whose parents migrated to Texas when Julia was eight years old. Seven children were born to this union. When he completed his education James moved with his family to Cameron where he taught in Milam County Liberal Institute. When the Civil War began James was called into the service but contracted a serious illness and was discharged at an early date. He then moved with his family to Salado where he served as principal of Salado College from 1863 to 1874 and later from 1879 to 1880. The College reached its highest enrollment of 307 during this time period. Historians tell us that Professor Smith and his excellent faculty carried the College to its highest standard. The Professor is best remembered for his organizing and promoting the “Euphradian Society”. This was an opportunity for the older male students to learn Parliamentary Procedure, Debating, and Public Speaking along with the other subjects which prepared them for success in their professions and avocations in future years. Many former students of the college became outstanding in the various professions, including business, education, medicine, forensics, and the political arena. Professor Smith died on January 10, 1883 and is buried in Old Salado Grave Yard. His wife, Julia, is believed to be buried beside him in the Old Grave Yard but there is no marker.
Charles Schoepf, a native of Germany, was born in 1806. In 1819, when he was approaching the age at which he would be required to enter military training, Charles stowed away on a ship bound for the United States. After he was discovered, the ship's Captain gave him job assignments until they reached their destination. After living in Chicago and on the Western frontier for a while Charles soon migrated to Texas. He settled at Cedar Creek, Bastrop County, in the Republic of Texas prior to 1840. The Indians were a serious threat to the settlers and there was on-going fighting. Charles fought in several skirmishes, two of which involved Captain N. M. Dawson's Company under the command of Colonel John H. Moore in 1840. Charles received no pay until thirteen years later. He then received two months' salary at the rate of $25.00 per month. Charles met and married Elizabeth Deakes (Deitz), also a native of Germany, born in 1827, in Bastrop County. Three children were born to this union. Elizabeth died and her date of death and place of burial are unknown. After the Civil War ended the Schoepfs moved to the Salado area settling west of the Village in Crow's Ranch where Charles continued farming. He met and married a widow, Mrs. Beckie Lynch and they continued on the same place until Charles died in 1894. A soldier of the Republic of Texas Marker has been placed on Charles' grave in Old Salado Grave Yard by members of the Daughters of thee Republic of Texas.
James and Elizabeth Anderson came to Texas as members of the Mercer Colony during the days of the Republic of Texas. They were natives of North Carolina and had migrated to Missouri prior to their move to Texas. They first homesteaded in North Texas but because of disputed title to the land grant issued to them migrated to the Milam Land District and purchased a farm near Three Forks, where the Leon and Lampasas Rivers and Salado Creek join to form Little River. Anderson became active in the area, signing a petition to the State Legislature asking that land which became Bell and Falls Counties be cut off from Milam County and established as new counties in 1849. No action was taken at this time and a second petition was presented in 1850. The Legislature acted on this and Bell County was established in that year, 1850. Anderson served as Post Master at the U. S. Post Office at Bryant's Station. Anderson was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace in the first election held in Bell County and continued in the office until his death in 1865. He was active in the founding and promotion of Salado College. He was a member of Salado Joint Stock Company which sold land to raise money for the college. He served as a school trustee. Anderson was one of the founders and charter elders of the Church of Christ founded in 1859, the first congregation of any church to be established in the Village of Salado. The Anderson’s built the Historic Anderson House on North Main Street. A Texas Historical Commission Marker has been placed at this home. The Anderson’s were parents of fourteen children. Elizabeth Anderson was a strong and loyal wife, mother, and Christian. James Anderson died in 1865 and it is believed that his is one of the lost graves in the Old Grave Yard. Elizabeth's date of death and place of burial are unknown. Descendants have placed a memorial marker at the site believed to be the old family burial plot.
John Paine was born in Chowan County, North Carolina on May 21, 1804. Little else is known about his early life, such as the name of his wife or when the couple was married. They were living in Kentucky in 1825 when their first child, Zilla, was born. A second daughter, Mary, and a son, John, born in 1826,were also born in Kentucky. The date of Mrs. Paine's death and her burial site are unknown. John Paine came To Texas as a member of Stephen F. Austin's Colony to secure a land grant, leaving his family behind in Kentucky. He had not returned before he was caught up in Texas' War for Independence. Muster rolls of the Texas Revolution show that, John Paine, Private, was a member of Captain York's Company of Volunteers prior to the Siege of Bexar in 1835. Then his name appears on the Muster Roll in the Siege of Bexar as a member of the New Orlean’s Grays under Captain William G. Cooke, Commander. Following the end of the War, John rejoined his family and eventually migrated to Texas and settled in the Salado area. The older daughter, Zilla, had married a man named William Tandy Bush on July 18, 1840 in Tennessee. Their first child, Catherine, was born in 1843. It is unknown when the Bush family came To Texas. The couple was living in Texas where two sons, Mancom Tandy (born in 1844) and Gideon and one more daughter were born. Zilla died at age thirty-one and is buried in Old Salado Grave Yard. William Tandy Bush then married Zilla's sister, Mary. William Tandy Bush died in 1881 and Mary, in 1886. They are also buried in Old Salado Grave Yard with the wives on either side. William Tandy Bush was a Christian preacher and was involved in the “Great Awakening”, a religious movement that seemed to inspire and unite Americans. Many settlers migrated to the newest nation on the North American Continent, the Republic of Texas, usually accompanied by mission-minded preachers. John Paine also became involved in the religious movement and became a preacher of the Gospel. William Tandy Bush, helped to organize many Christian churches on the Texas frontier. One of these churches was begun in the Village of Salado. John Paine served this church until his death on February 17, 1873. He is buried with his daughters and their father-in-law in the Old Salado Grave Yard. A Soldier of the Texas Revolutionary War Marker has been placed at the burial site of John Paine by members of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
Dr. McKie was born in Columbia, Tennessee on August 12, 1825. His wife, Eva, was born in Louisville, Kentucky. The couple married in 1850. One child, a son, born to this union. Dr. McKie received his medical education in Louisville, Kentucky and New Orleans. He then joined the U. S. Volunteer Army as a surgeon and served under General Zachary Taylor. He served in the Mexican War where he received two injuries which he suffered from for the rest of his life. He came to Texas in 1849 and served on the frontier where he received a third injury. It was necessary for him to go to Arkansas for treatment. Greatly improved he returned to Texas in 1850 and settled in Limestone County. He married and later established a practice in Corsicana. When the Civil War began Dr. McKie re-entered the Army. He organized a company known as “Independent Rangers” which was later accepted in the regular Army. He served in Pikes Peak, Missouri where he received another injury. After his condition improved he re-joined his outfit and later served in Gaine's Mill, Millican's Bend, and the Red River Campaign. After the close of the War, Dr. McKie returned to his home in Texas and later moved to Salado in order for his son to attend Salado College and where he practiced Medicine until his death on August 7, 1883. He is buried in the family plot in the Old Salado Grave Yard. There is no record of Eva's time of death or where she was buried. The historic family home located on Center Circle has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places and has been marked by Texas Historical Commission Medallion.